Welcome to ilikecomox, your ultimate guide to all things Comox! As a long-time resident and avid explorer of this charming town, I’m thrilled to share my insider knowledge with you. Whether you’re a local looking for hidden gems or a visitor planning your next adventure, you’ve come to the right place.
Nestled on the eastern coast of Vancouver Island, Comox is a picturesque destination that offers a little something for everyone. From its stunning natural beauty to its vibrant arts scene and delicious culinary delights, this town has it all. Join me as I take you on a journey through the best attractions, activities, and local hotspots that make Comox a truly special place.
Exploring the Natural Beauty of Comox
Comox is blessed with an abundance of natural beauty that captivates both locals and visitors alike. As a long-time resident, I’ve had the pleasure of exploring every nook and cranny of this picturesque town. Here are some of my favorite natural attractions that I can’t help but rave about:
1. Comox Harbour
The jewel of Comox is undoubtedly its picturesque harbour. As soon as you set eyes on the glistening waters and the surrounding mountains, you’ll understand why locals cherish this spot. Take a leisurely stroll along the Harbour Walkway, where you can watch the boats sail in and out, enjoy breathtaking sunsets, and maybe even spot some playful seals swimming in the water.
2. Filberg Park
Nestled on the waterfront, Filberg Park is a serene oasis that showcases the natural beauty of Comox. The park offers lush greenery, stunning gardens, and magnificent views of the water. You can spend hours exploring the winding trails, admiring the vibrant flowers, or finding a quiet spot to have a picnic. Don’t forget your camera, as this place is a photographer’s dream.
3. Goose Spit Park
For those seeking a beach escape, Goose Spit Park is the answer. This sandy spit extends into the Comox Harbour and offers panoramic views of the surrounding mountains. It’s the perfect spot to sunbathe, have a picnic, or take a relaxing walk along the shoreline. The park is also a popular launch point for kayaking, paddleboarding, and even scuba diving for the adventurous souls.
4. Seal Bay Nature Park
Nature enthusiasts will find paradise at Seal Bay Nature Park, located just a short drive from Comox. This 1,600-acre park is home to ancient forests, meandering trails, and an abundance of wildlife. Keep your eyes peeled for deer, squirrels, and a variety of bird species. The park is also known for its stunning views of the Strait of Georgia, making it a must-visit for any nature lover.
Dive into the Vibrant Arts Scene of Comox
Comox isn’t just known for its natural beauty; it also boasts a vibrant arts scene that is sure to captivate your senses. As an art enthusiast, I can’t help but be drawn to the numerous galleries, theaters, and cultural events that this charming town has to offer. Let me take you on a journey through the diverse and thriving arts scene in Comox.
1. Galleries Galore
Comox is home to a wide array of galleries that showcase the work of local artists as well as renowned Canadian and international artists. From contemporary art to pottery and sculptures, these galleries offer a feast for the eyes. You can browse through stunning pieces, engage in conversations with artists, and even purchase unique artworks to adorn your home.
2. Theatrical Delights
If you’re a fan of live performances, you’re in for a treat in Comox. The town boasts several theaters that host a variety of shows, including plays, musicals, and concerts. Whether you’re a lover of drama, music, or comedy, there’s always something happening on the local theater scene to suit your tastes. So sit back, relax, and let yourself be entertained by the talented performers.
3. Festivals and Events
Comox comes alive with creativity throughout the year, thanks to its vibrant festivals and events celebrating the arts. From music festivals to art walks and cultural exhibitions, there’s always something happening that will pique your interest. These events not only showcase the talents of local artists but also bring an eclectic mix of performers and exhibits from across the country and beyond.
4. Workshops and Classes
For those looking to get hands-on with the arts, Comox offers a range of workshops and classes for all ages and skill levels. Whether you’re interested in painting, pottery, photography, or even dance, you’ll find opportunities to learn and grow your artistic skills. These workshops not only provide a chance to enhance your creativity but also offer a wonderful opportunity to connect with like-minded individuals in the community.
The arts scene in Comox is a vibrant and thriving community that adds another layer of charm to this picturesque town. With its diverse range of galleries, theaters, festivals, and workshops, there’s always something to inspire and engage the art lover in you. Immerse yourself in the rich cultural experiences that Comox has to offer, and let your creativity soar.
Indulge in Delicious Culinary Delights in Comox
When it comes to food, Comox has something to satisfy every palate. From fresh seafood and farm-to-table cuisine to international flavors, this charming town is a food lover’s paradise. In this section, I’ll take you on a gastronomic journey through some of the must-visit food destinations in Comox.
1. Farm-to-Table Delights: Comox is blessed with rich agricultural lands and a thriving farming community, which means you can expect a variety of farm-fresh produce and locally sourced ingredients. Many restaurants in Comox take pride in serving dishes made with these high-quality ingredients. Whether you’re craving a hearty breakfast, a satisfying lunch, or an elegant dinner, you’ll find plenty of farm-to-table options that celebrate the flavors of the region.
2. Fresh Seafood: Being situated on the coast of Vancouver Island, it’s no surprise that Comox is famous for its seafood. The pristine waters around the town are home to an abundance of fish and shellfish, and local fisherman bring in a daily catch. From succulent salmon and halibut to plump oysters and juicy prawns, the seafood options in Comox are truly a delight for seafood enthusiasts. Don’t forget to try the famous Comox Valley oysters – they’re an absolute must!
3. International Cuisine: For those with an adventurous palate, Comox offers a diverse range of international cuisines. Whether you’re in the mood for Japanese sushi, Mexican tacos, Italian pasta, or Indian curries, you’ll find restaurants that showcase the authentic flavors of these international cuisines. Embark on a culinary journey around the world without leaving the comfort of Comox.
4. Craft Breweries and Wineries: Complement your gastronomic experience in Comox with a visit to one of the local craft breweries or wineries. The region is known for its excellent craft beer and award-winning wines. Take a tour, sample the local brews, and learn about the art of beer and winemaking. It’s a great way to relax and unwind while appreciating the local flavors.
Must-Visit Attractions in Comox
Comox is not only known for its natural beauty and vibrant arts scene but also for its array of must-visit attractions. Whether you’re a nature lover, history enthusiast, or simply looking for a fun day out, Comox has something for everyone. Here are some top attractions that I highly recommend visiting:
- Comox Harbour: One of the most picturesque spots in town, Comox Harbour offers stunning views of the ocean, mountains, and surrounding islands. Take a stroll along the marina, watch the boats come and go, and maybe even catch a glimpse of the resident seals. It’s the perfect place to relax and soak in the beauty of the waterfront.
- Filberg Heritage Lodge and Park: Step back in time at the historic Filberg Park. This beautiful park features lush gardens, towering trees, and a stunning heritage lodge. Take a leisurely walk through the gardens, discover unique sculptures and artwork, and explore the beautifully restored lodge. Don’t miss the annual Filberg Festival, a celebration of arts, crafts, and music held here every summer.
- Goose Spit Park: If you’re a beach lover, Goose Spit Park is a must-visit. With its sandy beach, crystal-clear waters, and scenic views, it’s the perfect spot for swimming, picnicking, or simply sunbathing. Take a walk along the spit and enjoy the fresh ocean breeze.
- Courtenay and District Museum: Discover the rich history of the Comox Valley at the Courtenay and District Museum. Explore exhibits showcasing the area’s First Nations heritage, pioneer life, and the region’s natural history. From dinosaur fossils to local artifacts, there’s fascinating history to uncover.
- Mount Washington Alpine Resort: Just a short drive from Comox, Mount Washington offers year-round outdoor activities. In the winter, hit the slopes for skiing or snowboarding. In the summer, explore hiking or biking trails with breathtaking views of the surrounding mountains. Immerse yourself in the natural beauty of the island’s alpine region.
Uncover Local Hotspots in Comox
There are hidden gems in every town, and Comox is no exception. As a local, I’ve had the chance to explore some of the lesser-known spots that make Comox truly special. From unique shops to charming cafes, here are some local hotspots that you won’t want to miss during your visit:
1. Comox Valley Farmers’ Market: If you’re a fan of fresh, local ingredients, then the Comox Valley Farmers’ Market is a must-visit. Held every Saturday, this vibrant market showcases the best of what the region has to offer. From farm-fresh produce to artisanal cheeses and handcrafted goods, you’ll find a wide selection of products from local farmers, vendors, and artisans.
2. Red Tree Specialty Coffee: For coffee enthusiasts, a visit to Red Tree Specialty Coffee is a must. This local coffee shop is known for its expertly roasted beans and handcrafted beverages. Situated in a cozy and inviting space, it’s the perfect spot to relax, sip on a delicious latte, and soak in the warm atmosphere.
3. Little Village Market: Tucked away in downtown Comox, the Little Village Market is a treasure trove of unique finds. This charming boutique offers an array of artisanal and handcrafted products, including jewelry, accessories, home decor, and more. Whether you’re looking for a special gift or want to treat yourself to something unique, this shop is a hidden gem that’s worth exploring.
4. Coastal Black Estate Winery: If you’re a wine lover, a visit to Coastal Black Estate Winery is a must. This family-owned winery specializes in producing delicious fruit wines from locally sourced berries. Take a leisurely stroll through the vineyard, enjoy a wine tasting, and indulge in the breathtaking views of the surrounding countryside.
5. Goose Spit Park Market: On Sundays during the summer months, the Goose Spit Park Market comes alive with local vendors, food trucks, and live music. This vibrant market offers a blend of local produce, handcrafted products, and delicious food options. Grab a bite to eat, browse the stalls, and enjoy the laid-back atmosphere of this community gathering.
These are just a few of the local hotspots that make Comox a truly unique destination. So, take the time to uncover these hidden gems and discover the lesser-known side of this charming town.
Comox is a hidden gem that offers a perfect blend of natural beauty, vibrant arts scene, culinary delights, and must-visit attractions. From the picturesque Comox Harbour to the lush greenery of Filberg Park, there is no shortage of stunning natural attractions to explore. The town’s vibrant arts scene adds another layer of charm, with galleries, theaters, festivals, and workshops showcasing the talents of local and international artists. For food lovers, Comox is a paradise with its farm-to-table options, fresh seafood, and local craft breweries and wineries. And let’s not forget the must-visit attractions like the historic Filberg Heritage Lodge and Park, the fascinating Courtenay and District Museum, and the breathtaking Mount Washington Alpine Resort. Finally, don’t miss out on the local hotspots like the Comox Valley Farmers’ Market and the charming Little Village Market. Comox truly has something for everyone, making it a destination worth exploring.